среда, 29 февраля 2012 г.

SWM: Hackett misses out on 400m medals


AAP General News (Australia)
08-10-2008
SWM: Hackett misses out on 400m medals

BEIJING, Aug 10 AAP - Australian swim team captain Grant Hackett suffered early disappointment
when he missed out on the medals in the 400 metres freestyle at the Beijing Olympics today.

The 2004 Athens silver medallist faded to finish sixth in the final as South Korean
youngster Park Tae-hwan charged to victory in three minutes 41.86 seconds at the Water
Cube.

China's Zhang Lin (3:42.44) and American Larsen Jensen (3:42.78) collected the silver
and bronze medals respectively.

Hackett started well and early in the eight-lap race but Park, swimming next to him,
kicked in the fifth lap and steadily pulled away from the big man.

"It's not the time I was looking for, obviously I would have loved to have be on the
podium," said Hackett, who will pursue a record third consecutive 1500m gold medal on
the final day of the swimming competition.

"It was a fast field and I thought I had a bit more in me but it didn't come out tonight
unfortunately."

Park also looms as a major threat for Hackett in the 1500m.

"I've trained for the 15(00m), gave that (the 400) the best shot but unfortunately
I didn't quite get what I wanted," said Hackett.

He remained confident for the 1500m.

"Yeah, I know I'm swimming well so I just look forward to getting into the 15(00)."

AAP tw/nh

KEYWORD: OLY08 SWM M400F LEAD

2008 AAP Information Services Pty Limited (AAP) or its Licensors.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий